The Mission of St. Joseph Retreat House is to provide a silent, sacred and welcoming space of prayer to those seeking rest and desiring to encounter and deepen their relationship with Christ in a radical way. This encounter is particularly rooted in the traditions of St. Ignatius and Venerable Father Bruno Lanteri, the founder of the Oblates of the Virgin Mary.
The mission and purpose of the house is furthered through the ministry of hospitality as well as personalized spiritual direction in which the person is accompanied and encouraged in his or her walk with Christ.
What Are the Types of Catholic Retreats Offered?
We offer a variety of retreats, programs, and gatherings at St. Joseph Retreat House. At the heart of the retreats offered are the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius, which are a directed retreat experience. A directed retreat is an extended one-on-one encounter with God structured to include exploration of the matters of the heart, daily hours of contemplation and meditation, moments of recreational activity, and daily meetings with a spiritual director.
Each directed retreat is personalized and may differ in theme, content and length.
- Day of Recollection – Theme-based presentations are offered throughout the day, along with a combination of group discussion, Mass, confession and private prayer
- Desert Days – A quiet day of reflection that includes an overnight stay at the retreat house
- Directed Retreat Weekend – A three-day silent retreat offered during particular weekends throughout the year
- Five Day Directed Retreat – A week-long retreat that includes silence, contemplation and spiritual direction
- Eight Day Directed Retreat – An Ignatian style retreat open to laity, religious leaders and priests
- The Thirty Days – An extended, month-long silent retreat with a spiritual director. You must complete the Eight Day Directed Retreat before becoming eligible for The Thirty Days.
If you’re wondering if a retreat is right for you, learn more about the tradition of Catholic silent retreats and the spiritual benefits.
Attend the Annual Gala
Join us in Boston for an evening of cocktails, dinner, and exciting auctions.Get Tickets