The Oblates of the Virgin Mary (OMV) are serious about seeking holiness. Centered on the Eucharist, devoted to Mary and faithful to the Magisterium, the Oblates serve the Church as experts in authentic spirituality and heralds of the mercy of God. OMV ministries include a broad spectrum of apostolic efforts, including retreats, spiritual direction, priestly formation, missionary work, lay groups, parishes, and evangelization through the media.
Since our arrival in the United States in 1976, we have continued to attract new vocations, establish new foundations, and assist thousands per year in their spiritual growth. In addition to offering retreats across the globe, Oblates serve in retreat centers, parishes, seminaries, and shrines in the Archdioceses of Boston, Los Angeles, and Denver, and in the dioceses of Naples Florida and Springfield, Illinois. Since 1990, the U.S. Province also sends community members to its mission in the Philippines.
Peruse our current open positions and submit your application today!
Open Videographer Position
This videographer position is in charge of creating all visual products for the Oblates of the Virgin Mary. That includes existing needs (such as filming and editing ordinations, profession of vows, and Easter / Christmas messages) but also coming up with new ideas for content (series, promotions, etc).
The Oblates are a religious order with bold aims for vocational growth in the next 25+ years, and the videographer position matches that desire to spread the charism and messages of the Oblates with the world via video. This position will work with the Provincial staff team as well as the seminarians and other priests who live at St Clement Eucharistic Shrine in Boston and around the country.
The videographer should be based in Boston. It is a Monday to Friday work schedule with occasional evening/weekend work.
- Supporting the mission of the Oblates of the Virgin Mary and the Catholic Church
- Oversee scheduling, development, production, and delivery for all video projects
- A few times a year, create highlight videos for OMV Ordinations, Profession of Vows, and other major events for the congregation
- Keep OMVUSA YouTube channel up-to-date and relevant, working to grow the audience and maintain a consistent upload schedule
- Come up with new video and series ideas to reach key audiences (vocations, advancement, ministry, etc.), working in coordination with various departments
- Produce graphics for video thumbnails and social media posts as needed
- Oversee and ensure St. Clement Mass live streaming is running smoothly
- Produce quick, short turnaround videos as necessary
- Facilitate training Oblate priests, brothers, seminarians, and staff in the fundamentals of video production
- Identify and coordinate with outside vendors on larger scale video production and photography shoots, negotiate contracts, manage production schedules in conjunction with big picture, Province-wide goals
- Maintain and organize video archive for inter-departmental use
- Keep equipment in good condition, fixing or replacing pieces as necessary
- Track time spent shooting and editing video to balance the overall production schedule
- Brainstorm and plan new projects to spread Oblate’s visibility, vocations, mission, and charism
- Work with seminarians on social media accounts and other video projects
We are looking for a proactive, humble, and results-oriented individual with the following attributes:
- Self-Motivated – As a small team, it’s important everyone can stay accountable or seek outside accountability as needed. Driven to successfully and excellently execute the needs of the Provincial Office and to maximize positive impact on the team. Willing to “go the extra mile in all that you do. Initiates most activity and has strong follow- through skills.
- Creative – Thinking outside the box for new video ideas, not merely repeating what’s already being done. Visualizing projects from start to finish
- Flexibility – to occasionally film ordinations, Masses, and special events that are on weekends or beyond normal work week
- Technologically proficient – understands, and is quick to learn, the latest tech and trends to keep videos relevant
- Committed – Passionate about the mission of the OMVs to inspire people to grow in personal holiness through retreats, spiritual direction, priestly formation, missionary work, lay groups, parishes, and evangelization through the media.
- Humble – Willing to listen to feedback and make changes as necessary without taking things personally. Someone who always chooses to take the high road.
Our ideal candidate would also possess the following:
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to direct a shoot confidently: redoing lines, making adjustments, and encouraging talent when needed.
- Creativity and understanding of social media to create compelling content to reach larger audiences than standard platforms
- being fiscally responsible with new acquisitions, gear, and production costs
- Experienced in video production techniques and equipment, including lighting for studio and field applications.
- Advanced experience and knowledge in video editing (software doesn’t matter, though all existing projects are Final Cut Pro files)
- Proficient in graphic design (for video thumbnails and the occasional social media posts)
- Ability to artfully create standard 16×9 video for YT, FB, and more, but also vertical, 9×16 content for Instagram, TikTok, and other social media.
- Experience with multi-camera recording (there are currently 2 high-end Sony cameras which are often used together)
- Experience with Green Screen, gimbal technology, and drones preferred. Existing equipment includes DJI Ronin stabilizer, studio with green screen, and DJI drone.
- Fiscally responsible with new acquisitions, gear, and production costs
- Time and project management skills (planning out projects weeks or months in advance to keep on top of the position’s vision)
Bonus: proficiency in photography would be welcome
What We Offer
- Competitive salary (commensurate with experience)
- Medical benefits
- Paid time off
- Culture of committed professionals with a willingness to roll up their sleeves to get the job done
- Church on premises with Mass, confession, and Adoration offered daily
- Collaborative environment in which your gifts and talents are able to make a large impact
- An environment where Servant Leadership is fostered and encouraged.
- Training resources are available.
Please email email@example.com with the following:
- Portfolio required and/or examples of current and previous work
- Cover letter that expresses your interest in working to advance the mission of the Oblates of the Virgin Mary and that details your qualifications to be the Videographer
- Current resume with all appropriate dates included
- List of four references with names, physical addresses, phone numbers and email addresses. No references will be contacted without your knowledge and approval.